Associate Professor and Deputy Director
Dr. Warren Batchelor is an Associate Professor and Deputy Director of the Biore-source Processing Research Institute of Australia (BioPRIA), part of the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering at Monash University. He is also Director of Education in the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering. He is the chair of the Standards Australia PK-019 committee, which develops standards for the pulp and paper industry and is the Australian representative on the international com-mittee, TC6.
His major research interests are in sustainable materials, with a particular interest in materials from cellulose nanofibers (CNFs), with contributions including:
• Recyclability of CNF films and of paper-polymer laminates.
• Life-cycle analysis of materials and processes
• CNF characterisation methods including developing standards for CNFs.
• Paper mill biorefinery and CNF production.
• Methods for the rapid preparation of CNF sheets by spray coating and vacu-um filtration.
• Development of renewable, recyclable, CNF barrier layers to displace petro-leum-derived polymers in packaging.
• Nanoparticle-cellulose nanofibre composites for barrier applications, ultrafil-tration membranes, antimicrobial functional layers and photocatalytic deg-radation of organic contaminants.